Our annual family Summer Reading Program offers learners of all ages a variety of ways to stay sharp and beat “summer slide.”
This year, our theme was “A Universe of Stories” (space). It ran from June 10th to July 19th.
Stay tuned for information on the 2020 family Summer Reading Program!
The Teen Summer Reading Program takes place in August,
and is for ages 13-17. Sign up starts June 3rd. Click here for more details on the TEEN SRP.
(Teens can participate in one, not both, of the Summer Reading Programs).
Previous family Summer Reading Program info:
Open to Marshall Library users of all ages!
Sign up at the library to earn prizes by reading.
There is no fee to sign up.
Click on the astronaut to the right to get
a reading log, weekly challenges, and more.
We also offer free crafts, educational presentations,
live music, and other activities.
Sign up starts June 3rd.
FAMILY SUMMER READING PROGRAM PLANNED ACTIVITIES:
Monday June 10th, 7-8pm: Kick-off Party!
Free and open to all ages. An hour of family fun.
- Fortnite Dance Competition: You Could Win 1,000 V-bucks for the platform of your choice!
- Make & Eat Alien Snacks
- Play Asteroids: Teams race to throw as many balls (asteroids) as they can.
- Facepainting and crafts!
Wednesday June 19th, 6:30pm: Rockin’ Round the Universe Show
Randy Peterson will give you a musical tour of the universe with his
high-energy songs. Audience participation encouraged!
Thursday, June 27th, 9-10pm: Star Party & Smores
Stay up late and join us at Langer Park on Canal Rd just north of Marshall. Make and eat smores while star gazing with astronomer John Heasley. Look through his giant telescope to see planets and stars and learn the constellations. Grab a glow bracelet and enjoy the park after dark.
Monday July 1st, 7-8pm: Water Rockets
Build your own rocket and then shoot it into the sky with high pressure water power! Wear clothes you can get wet in. If you can, please bring 1-2 clean 2 liter bottles with their caps.
Best for ages 6 and up.
Monday July 8th, 6-7pm: Out of This World Crafts
Make a star jar and asteroid ice cream!
Wednesday July 17th, 6pm: Giant Steps (Educational Presentation)
Fifty summers ago, humans first made footprints on another world. Hear the story of how the Apollo astronauts journeyed to the Moon and what they discovered there.
Fascinating details and pictures from astronomer John Heasley. Best for ages 12+.
Friday July 19th: Summer Reading Program Ends
Today is the last day to turn in your reading logs and collect prizes!
Our TEEN Summer Reading Program starts in August!
Click HERE for more details.
SUMMER READING PROGRAM RULES
1) You must have a valid library card to participate. Need a library card? They’re free! Kids: Bring a parent. Adults: bring in a WI photo ID & proof of current address (something you got in the mail within the last 3 months.
2) All books or materials used must be checked out from Marshall Library.
3) You must claim any earned prize before the end of your summer reading program (July 28th for kids/adults, August 27th for teens).
4) Push yourself. You should read books that are at or above your skill level.
5) If you are participating in more than one library’s summer reading program, please don’t “double dip.” (For example, don’t read 1 book for 20 minutes and then use that to get an incentive from Sun Prairie AND from us.)
6) You can choose to do EITHER the Family Summer Reading Program (June 10th - July 18th) OR the Teen Summer Reading Program (August). Please don't do both.
6) Parents are responsible for children at all events.
7) You can do EITHER the family Summer Reading Program OR
the teen Summer Reading Program, not both. Click here for the Teen Summer Reading Program.